Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Guilt, Shame, and Stigma

 Its okay to not be okay, publicly.


 Part of the pain of social media is that people tend to post their highlights - book launches, posed smiles, commitment to goals, etc. Of course we come out negative and not-enough when we compare ourselves to this polished perspective!


Today I challenge you to post a behind-the-scenes. Share a photo of your bedhead crazy hair, a story of when you gorged on snacks to fill an emotional void, an incident of anxiety or aggression.

Here's a peek at my behind-the-scenes 


For me as a poet, its not all rainbows and rhymes, and some of my most powerful works are dark and raw and resonate with the deepest darkest parts of us. 


Sure, the hurt tends to fade with the light of each new day, and I'm not fishing for pity, but...


The guilt and shame

 are strong and relentless, 

and if we hide our pain,

we only have ourselves 

to blame.


Will you help me #StopTheStigma by telling a behind-the-scenes story #LoveLouder applies to being kind to ourselves, as much as to others.


I'm not quite brave enough to post a fat-face tired-eyes selfie, so here's a photo of my bedside table, with the mother's day succulent that I killed by watering literally once in 2 months, my favorite hairbrush that I lose and eventually find (within the freakin house) at least 6 days a week, and the cough drops that I was too stubborn to use, but also haven't yet found the motivation to put away.  Not pictured are 3 baskets of clean laundry waiting for attention, a sink full of dishes abandoned overnight, a floor that hasn't been swept in quite a few days, and shows it. The guilt and shame over all these tasks undone is often overwhelming, and yet I often spend nights scrolling for hours, "too tired" to tackle the tasks. 


I know WHAT to do, years of therapy and loving learning have taught me all sorts of tricks and tactics. Finding the energy and motivation to start the laundry, to maintain doctor-ordered food restrictions, to set aside emotional escapes and actually sleep... that's a different story.


Will you join me in sharing the mundane, bad, and ugly, instead of always only the polished and pretty? It would mean the world.


Thanks for reading this far,

Xoxo 

Mama Gali

No comments:

Post a Comment